Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Letter from a First Responder

Everyone knows the Thompsons and Keith. Many, many people have been blessed just knowing them. These people never hesitate to help others. Interestingly, these folks had just spent weeks helping the Fire Department organize and execute a ranch rodeo to raise funds. Keep in mind these funds are used to update equipment and maintain rescue resources. Because of their input and knowledge, the fund-raiser was a smashing success. Little did we know that these resources would soon be needed to aid the very ones who had given so much to us.

It's a typical Sunday afternoon when the pager sounds and alerts us of a 10-50 at the intersection of 2534 and 267. I am within a few feet of my vehicle and I have a habit of responding straight to the scene in my vehicle to assess the scene. As an emergency responder. many thoughts are coursing through my head, prayers are going out for the occupants with the hope that it is another minor accident. As I top Michlik's Hill, my thought was 'Oh My God!'. I radioed back to bring all available resources. As I pull up on scene and realize that it is Trey, Tyler and Keith. Doing what is generally routine for us became an overwhelming task...on the verge of inability to function, but with the help of God able to press on.

My response to the scene was quick. Quicker than the law would like. Even then, both vehicles were fully engulfed. At that point, no one could have been removed from the wreckage. It would have been too late.

"Greater love has no man than this: that he lays down his life for his friends." John 15:13

Keith, we can all learn from your love for Tyler and Trey. I've watched you grow up under the Godly influence of these two men. There just is no tribute to Trey and Tyler greater than the fact that you were willing to lay down your life for them.
Deuteronomy 31:6 tells u, 'Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord you God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.' Keith...God worked through you on Sunday afternoon. He used you as an extension of Himself. He gave you the strength and courage to 'COWBOY UP' to save these two lives He created.

Keith, you are not only a hero in my eyes, but in God's as well. Imagine for a moment what would have been if you had not done what you did. In the blink of an eye:
Parents suddenly without two sons...
Wives without husbands...
Seven children without daddys...

Keith, I want to personally thank you for what you did. I know Tyler and Duck thank you. The Munday Fire Department thanks you and the Knox City EMS thanks you.

Though we are all trained professionals, we unfortunately have some selfishness in us. There are some things we don't want to do and some things we just don't want to see. But, because of your heroic actions, we were able to help the people YOU rescued instead of performing the gruesome task of recovery.

My prayer all week long has been that Trey, Tyler, Keith, and Corey recover physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Bill Myers

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, thanks so much for your touching post. We all need to stick together and I am sooo thankful for you guys who put your lives on the line every time that phone rings! I am so thankful that the people of Munday are such caring people. We have a lot to be thankful for.
Thanks for sharing my friend. wilma Hogan

Anonymous said...

It is so great to hear the good news on Trey and Tyler today. I have enjoyed keeping up with these updates. Your all still in my thoughts and prayers.

"Seek the Lord and his strength;
seek his presence continually!"

—Psalm 105:4

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Bill Myers! Through your words, God's Glory has been shown. What more can be said?

Through this whole ordeal, my prayer is that God will glue our community together with the mighty, powerful glue of His Spirit, that can never be torn apart!

Bless you...

Tammie said...

Thank you Keith. Thank you Bill and other rescue and medical persons. Thank you God for keeping Keith conscious!! Thank you Jeremy and Brittany for sacrificing Jonathan's confirmation activities.

The love of God is greater still...

Anonymous said...

Thank you to my friend Sue Fielden from Meridian who forwarded this request to me from her friend Carol. I'd prayed for these young men, but finally looked at the web site last night. That's when I made the connection of the Thompson name with the location and called my husband David to ask if they were kin to him. He called his older brother Eddie who looked at the picture and confirmed that Larry is their 1st cousin. Although I've never had the privilege of meeting you all, I've been very blessed by reading the web site. You are now also on the prayer chain of First Baptist Church, Old Ocean where your cousins, Eddie & David Marcum and Gloria (Marcum) Whaling attend with their families. May God continue to be glorified in the journey ahead of you. May He bless your families, your church, and the town that obviously holds you in the highest regard and has reached out to you in so many ways.
Brenda Marcum from Sweeny, TX

barb said...

You have some brave and heroic people their, I do not know the Thompson family's but our thoughts and prayers are with all family's at this time. May the Good Lord take care of you all and help you with the extra strengh you will need. We will keep you in our prayers. Cailforia friends

Anonymous said...

our family and friends have been praying.

Kenny forehand

Anonymous said...

Hey Thompson Family!
I have been praying constantly for you all and all of the medical staff members. I don't know a stronger family!!! Hang in there!

Julie Etheredge
Crane, TX

Anonymous said...

KEITH YOU ARE A BIG HERO IN OUR EYES WE ARE SO THANKFUL THAT GOD SPARED YOUR LIFE TO SAVE TREY AND TYLER LIFE WHAT YOU DID WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED BY EVERYONE ESPECIALY TREY RONDA TYLER TONYA LARRY AND CINDY AND ALL THE CHILDREN YOU DID WHAT YOU HAD TO DO TO SAVE YOUR BEST FRIENDS WE LOVE YOU GRANNY & PAPA